The course of true love never did run smooth. It has also been known to run too short.
Thankfully this will not be the case with the Australian Shakespeare Company’s production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Kew Gardens: The magic-hour production of Shakespeare’s classic comedy, which opened to rave reviews, has just announced more dates to extend its run amid the beautiful surroundings of London’s botanical gardens.
Staged on the Theatre Lawn, behind the Palm House, the production has been dubbed “delightful”, “magical” and “Shakespeare at its best” in various reviews since it opened and is now set to enchant more audiences before summer’s done.
“Staged beneath the heritage trees at the Theatre Lawn, behind the Palm House, Kew Gardens provides the picture-perfect setting for a summer’s evening with Shakespeare under the stars.
“Pack a picnic and a blanket or picnic chair to sit on. Food and beverages will also be available for purchase during the evening. (Knives and picnic tables are prohibited). Please bring some something cosy for when the sun sets and a raincoat in case of inclement weather,” a spokesperson for Theatre on Kew said.
Set in an enchanted forest, A Midsummer Night’s Dream tells the tale of Athenian lovers and amateur actors who see their love lives meddled in by band of mischievous fairies.
- What: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Where: Theatre Lawn, behind the Palm House, The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. (Enter via Victoria Gate)
- When: Until 5 September. Performance times Tues – Sun: until 29 Aug, 8pm, from 31 Aug 7.30pm
- Why Visit: An opportunity to watch this enchanting comedy in the wonderful setting of Kew Gardens
- Admission: Adult £30 – £42, Concession £25 – £38, Child (age 5-15) £17
- Kew Members: Adult £26 – £38, Concession £21 – £34, Child (age 5-15) £15
- Gates open 1.5 hours before start of the performance
- Website: theatreonkew.co.uk
Guests are asked to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the show start time. Please purchase all tickets in advance as there is limited capacity to each performance, (transaction fee applies). All available tickets for that evening’s performance will remain on-sale via the website up to 30 minutes past show time. No photography or recording is permitted during the show.